We don’t have to go to the extremes of celebrities (hint: if you watched the Grammy’s last night, Cee Lo Green with Forget You – really stood out – see picture). What we do need to do is be SMART in ALL our communication and contacts.
- Start with preparation. Your preparation leads to a more productive, focused and less stressful meeting for everyone.
- Make the effort to tie who you are and what you do relevant to THIS person.
- Ask intelligent questions that are different from what everyone else asks. (Yes, most sales people ask the “what are you using today” “what aren’t you happy with” and such questions)
- Relate what you can do for them back to their problems, opportunities, needs and wants.
- Think for them – what do they need to make a decision? What information, time, resources? Make it easy for them to say yes and move forward.
Thank goodness we don’t need crazy clothing, music or puppets (again, a reference to the Grammys) to stand out from the crowd in sales.