Winners: people at the top of their game, successful, productive, and moving forward.
Who doesn’t want to be a winner? These are the people who get respect and admiration from others. But what does it take for YOU to be a winner in what is most important to YOU?
Some people think winners are just lucky. But most winners know that it’s like the swans you see swimming–beautiful and effortless from above–with a lot of activity under the water.
But your actions and activity need to be centered. This starts with your thinking. If your mind is focused on the negative, that’s most likely what will follow. If your mind focuses on the possibilities and can “see” the success, that’s most likely what will follow—if action is taken.
Eliminate Limiting Thoughts
In my work with financial professionals, I see firsthand how the “thinking” plays into their level of success. No technology, new process, or accountability group will make a difference if you have a losing mindset. It starts with belief in yourself and belief in opportunities.
Statements such as these show the lack of winning mindset:
- “I hope this all works out.”
- “I don’t really have the time.”
- “I’m going to try and ___.”
- “___ is just in a better location.”
- “I can’t.”
- “I’m so young, people don’t have confidence I can help them.” Or “I’ve been at this so long, people are afraid I won’t be around when they need me most.”
These statements are driven from a non-winning mindset and get in the way of controlling what you can…your actions. YOU have more control than you think, and it starts with your thinking.
What you believe, will be.
What can you do? Well, work on developing your winning mindset! And then make choices about where to spend your energy, time, and focus!
Powerful Resources to Build a Winning Mindset
It’s easy to say just stop the “losing” thoughts, but we need more than that. Here are some powerful resources to help you.
Powerful books (some oldies, but goodies included):
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink
- The Power of Habit (Why We Do What We Do) by Charles Duhigg
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth About Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller
- The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick) by Seth Godin
- Failing Forward: Turning Mistakes Into Stepping Stones for Success by John C. Maxwell
- The Power of Focus by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, and Les Hewitt
- The Power of Focus for Women by Fran Hewitt and Les Hewitt
- PRST with Justin Castelli dedicated to the intersection of the Pursuit of passion and purpose, mindset, and the financial strategies to make it happen
- Positive Mindset for Entrepreneurs from The Mind Aware with Dana Wilde
- Positive University Podcast
- The Mindset Mentor with Rob Dial
- Henry Ford: Failure is only the opportunity to more intelligently begin again.
- Albert Gray: Winners have simply formed the habit of doing things losers don’t like to do.
- Vincent Lombardi – Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. (This could be my favorite as a Wisconsite.)
- Robert H. Schuller: It takes but one positive thought when given a chance to survive and thrive to overpower an entire army of negative thoughts.
- Douchan Gersi: Victory always starts in the head. It’s a state of mind. It then spreads with such radiance and such affirmations that destiny can do nothing but obey.
These resources provide ideas to ensure we stay on the winning track without getting sidelined.
What will you do today to build your winning thoughts?
What else do you recommend for building a winning mindset?