Ever say something you wish you could “take back?” I sure have! Unfortunately though, you can never erase the words you say…and someone else hears. Think about the social media snafus from celebrities and politicians in the past few months alone. So many words that would’ve been best left unsaid.
Words are mighty and the key to our success in communication, leading, and coaching our team. Even our seemingly little words can have a huge impact.
Our words have the ability to build or break the other person: your receiver.
They can break the receivers:
- belief in themselves and their capabilities.
- willingness to try more or something new
- engagement in their job
- loyalty to you and your company
Here are examples of words, questions, and phrases that can evoke negative emotions and reactions:
|You’re not listening||You always…||You never…|
|If you would “just”||I’ll fix it for you||Why would you have done that?|
Contrary to the breaking words, little words, questions, and phrases that can build the receiver include:
|I understand||Help me||I appreciate…|
|Tell me more…||I’m sorry||What do you think?|
- Plus question starters such as: How, who, what, where, and help me understand allow the conversation to be open and solicit the receiver’s feedback.
- Words we learned as young children that can also build include: please, thank you, and I care.
It’s something to think about, isn’t it?
Consider the words most often used in your conversations with your team. Do they have the impact you want or need them to? If not, make the effort to positively impact the people on your team with each conversation by using the little words that make a huge impact!
How To Safely Work Through Objections with Your Buyers
How do you react to objections in your sales conversations?
Ready to strive for the Win3 even when you hear an objection? We’ve a free mini-course, How To Safely Work Through Objections with Your Buyers., for you to:
- Confidently work through objections in your sales
- Stop the early concessions and price discounting
- Save your sale and uncover more opportunity
Check out the details here: How To Collaboratively Work Through Objections Video Course
Training Workshop Replay
"The Art to the Start of Sales Conversations"
You’re starting a conversation with a prospective buyer or client with just moments to earn the right to continue. How do you ensure these first moments set the right tone, gains their attention, and establishes your credibility?
Click here for more information and register now.